Sunday, November 30, 2008

I guess that I should post something...

... just to let everyone know that I am still alive.

First, I think a quote from a movie I watched on tv over the weekend (okay, not verbatim): "Don't you think I wake up every morning and wonder what I'm doing in New Jersey?!?" (from The Family Man, quoted by Tea Leoni's character.) Amen sister.

Life is going along here in NJ. Been doing the work thing and then trying to keep warm under a quilt as I veg in front of the tv. This coming week, I get to go down to Bethesda, MD with the rest of the team for the ERC (engineering research center) annual meeting. Hopefully Andrew will be able to survive on his own.

Thanksgiving was wonderful this year - hung out with a bunch of folk from GCF (graduate christian fellowship) who were still in town for the weekend. I of course brought the crescent rolls (made from a family recipe.) Great conversation, got to meet some parents of others in the group, and eventually wound up watching the first in the LOTR trilogy, viewing sessions of the other two movies (extended edition) to occur sometime in the future. A good, long, people-filled day.

Haven't really done much for the rest of the weekend. I had aspirations of doing the annual tree-lighting in Palmer Square (near campus) but found that the last few weeks of working caught up with me and made me want to nap on the couch. Also had plans of going to the Atlantic Coast yesterday, but upon investigation, figured that it would be better to head over there with warmer weather and more to do. An hour at a crafts fair that I found was not going to justify 2.5 hours of driving over there.

I'd talk more about my weeks, but nothing to say much there. Slowly I'm figuring out what I should be doing and how to interact with some people. After we come back from Bethesda, we will be in crunch time to get the annual report out the door by the 17th. Hopefully our faculty will give us the rest of the information we need...

Oh, and I should note that I have practically convinced Andrew about getting a cat. I'm still hoping for a Maine Coon (most dog-like cat breed out there). Guess the slightly elevated blood pressure, joking that my doctor should prescribe me to adopt a pet (seriously, best BP readings occurred during the month of August while living with Rocky), depression as I struggle with getting adjusted here, and companionship of a furry lap warmer has got Andrew thinking - and a cat would fit our lifestyles and accomodations better right now as much as we would like a doggie, preferably of the retriver/lab variety. If we get a cat, it would be after the new year...

Anyway, I think that's about it. I might change up the blog a bit - start a couple of new categories along the right side bar. Keep an eye out for those and updates on those.

No comments: