So, I guess it's a good thing that I went to college and took a java programming class and a web design class...
I manage our center's website (read copy-and-paste updates to the site), and there are some bugs that we are trying to fix with the help of the people who created the site - they know the code better than us right? We've been in discussion and contract writing for the old bugs plus new updates that we would like to do that is beyond the scope of someone who knows how to edit pages in Dreamweaver.
So, there's been this error for students to view job postings (this is on the log-in part of the site). We finally have enough postings that require a second page. Unfortunately, when you click on "2" to move to the next page, an error occurred.
Now, it's close to summer, and our students need some summer internship work - where could they look? At this page. Oh, and did I mention, all recent adds are at the bottom of the list, therefore, on the "second page"?
Okay, so it's been since February that we gave them this bug, and they got a print out of it again on April Fools, and today, I made a quick 30-second fix:
* look at the code
* found AllowPaging
* changed from ="True" to ="False"
and voila! all job opportunities found on one page!
The question now is, for that fix that hopefully the web designers were to fix, how much would they bill us? Though, ideally they would still allow for paging and have the second page come up.
I sent an email out with a screenshot of the fix to all those involved with this website update process and my boss comes down to ask how I fixed it. I told him, "Luckily I have some coding experience and found something that said pagination and changed it to 'False'." I think he was appreciative.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Awesome!!
good job!
Though now I should comment that our website developers finally made that fix and several others...
Post a Comment