Saturday, August 30, 2008

Austin, MN

yet another day of a lot of driving, and today was really, really, really boring (except for the 45 minutes driving through the Badlands)...

* Miles traveled: 480
* Hours in the car: aprox 8 hours
* Current time zone: Central (and I finally changed the setting on the computer so my blog time reflects when I posted today Central Time!)
* License plate bingo: Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, West Virginia
* Bonus points (in the order we saw them...): Quebec, New Brunswick, Manitoba
* Tumbleweeds hit: 1

Quote of the day: "These are the drive-by shootings I am a fan of." ~ Denise, just after taking a picture and rolling up the car window as Andrew drives through the Badlands, SD.

Badlands - gorgeous, and really the only thing in South Dakota. Once again, I will be setting up a Picasa album and will link to that once I have that up with all the pictures from the trip. If you ever take I-90 through South Dakota, take the Badlands loop and just drive it (we only stopped at one outlook point). Nothing like looking at mounds formed from volcanic activity.

But other than the Badlands, there is nothing to note of South Dakota - it's hot, it's flat, but it at least has more color than Kansas ever did. However, their rest areas are really nice - inside a visitor center-esque building with clean restrooms. Oh, and I should mention the wind... for some reason there was a lot of wind that was hitting us from the right side... made for a terrible time to try to stay out of ditches... but we did :)

Minnesota is so far much better - less wind, and more activity off of I-90. And tonight, we are actually staying in a city that has civilization - 23,000+ residents... and a Target! Woo-hoo!

Tomorrow - 6 hours into Chi-town and meet up with Gen and Bobby for some infamous deep-dish pizza. Andrew and I are both ready for a break from all the driving, so luckily we get into Chicago tomorrow and will be putzing around there until Wednesday morning. If you know of stuff we should do in Chicago, please let us know!

Catch ya later on the other side of the Mississip!

3 comments:

niferjen said...

did you see "Wall Drug"?

minnesota is probably my 2nd favorite state... but really the north parts of it...

i've only driven outside of chi town once, so i have no idea.

DieNVie said...

Funny that you ask that - my sister asked me that too! We saw the sign for it, but we did not stop there. Apparently we are clueless to the joke and appeal to Wall Drug...

niferjen said...

The only joke I know is about how rediculous it is. There are hundreds of signs on the freeway advertising it, like "Free Water at Wall Drug!" and such. It is a pretty cool shopping mall, but it's basically just a tourist trap. We didn't stay long.