Monday, October 27, 2008

First day of being a Tiger

I survived the first day and I think I'll go back. Not too bad so far.

The day started out with the HR Orientation (aka, turn in your payroll forms, listen to all the policies, learn about the benefits available, etc...) but I got to watch an information video about Princeton - a brief history of Princeton to be exact. I learned about the history of the campus during the Revolutionary War, the key presidents of the university, and learned that that aerial scene of pretty buildings and lawn with what looks to be a dirt track field in Fox's TV medical drama "House" is actually a shot of campus (since all the doctors of House work in Princeton-Plainsboro hospital - yeah, that's fictional - first clue: since when did a hospital look like that on the inside?)

Afterwords I got to go get my TigerCard, which I can put PawPoints (yes, PawPoints) on for buying food on campus, opening doors, accessing the library. UW has prettier cards, but then again, I'm bias, but at the same time, I did not look orange on my student or staff id...

Anyway, then I got to find my way over to the E-Quad to eventually be shown my work space. Now brace yourselves, my lovely UWAA friends - I HAVE AN OFFICE!!! AND I DON'T HAVE TO SHARE IT!!! (as of right now, there is a second desk in there in case they run out of space). Only bummer right now is that my phone line is currently in the office next door, so if my phone rings, Roxanne will yell at me to say that it's ringing for me to run over and grab it (I'm sure you can relate to this headache Kristin). Though, I have to say, it seems foreign to work a day at a computer and not have to be there to answer a phone - doesn't seem to be a problem that my phone is in the office next door right now.

So, as of right now, I have an office, computer with login and email, and starting the task of organizing all the info coming in for the annual report (two volumes) for NSF saying where the center is in the research. And tomorrow I get to be a friendly face for high-schoolers checking in and wondering where the bathroom is for an event tomorrow (this is reminicient of my first day at the UWAA. Only thing is is that I have to learn what to do in the afternoon so that I can take care of it for the same event Thursday since the coordinator of this event has to leave early on Thursday... ahh, the start of the "catch-all" title in the job description...)

Guess it's time to Huskify the place - nobody there to tell me that the colors are all wrong.

:)

No comments: